Make yourself a favor and do something really useful for your company next year: Drop your custom CMS and MigrateToWP! (well, moving to other popular CMSs like Drupal would also be a step forward but WordPress is right now the best alternative in most scenarios).
It´s amazing how many companies still rely on a Custom CMS or that even ask for somebody to create one for them. Most likely, you´re not using a custom text processor, nor a custom database or web browser, so why using a custom CMS?
There are many reason why you should drop your custom CMS and go WordPress but let me just remind you five of them:
- Freedom: Using a custom CMS is a clear case of vendor locked-in. You are totally dependent of the developers that created the Custom CMS for you. Only them can evolve the CMS to make sure it still fits your needs. Instead, WordPress is open source so anybody can learn and modify it.
- Fast Evolution: New social networks/techs/trends pop up every day and must be quickly integrated in your site if you want your contents to be quickly disseminated and spread around the internet. There´s no way that with a Custom CMS you can keep the pace and develop new plug-ins to integrate all these new networks in your site in time. Instead, with WordPress you know that any new technology that comes up will be covered by new WordPress plug-ins really fast. Can you imagine a site without an easy way to share the contents in Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Klout and so many others? I don’t, but this is probably your case if you´re using a Custom CMS!
- Community: You´ll not be alone. With a community of more than 50 milion sites running wordpress, you´ll find a lot of help and resources for any kind of problem you may encounter.
- Price: To begin with WordPress is free. But more importantly, there are a lot of freelances you can hire to develop/adapt WordPress themes, plug-ins,… to your specific needs, which means that you´ll be able to hire WordPress experts for a very reasonable price.
- Easy Import/Export to other CMSs. And if, at some point, you think WordPress is not the best CMS for you, you can always export all your data and move to another one. With WordPress you are not locked-in. You can either use any of the available export formats or just access the database tables (again, it´s open source so you have full access to all the internals). Don´t worry, any new CMS will make sure to offer a easy transition path from WordPress.
Of course, if after reading this post you are now convinced to go wordpress, just contact us.
Any other important reasons to go WordPress? Leave us a comment!